Monday, October 31, 2011

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo



Heaven is for Real is about a four year old boy, Colton, who goes into emergency surgery and afterwards tells his parents he went to heaven.  Over the course of a couple years, he reveals to his parents facts that he would have never known unless, miraculously, he really did go to heaven. 

My mom had told me I should read this book, as well as a couple friends, and I was like yeah yeah, I’ll get to it.  I finally did and it blew my mind.  Who doesn’t wonder what heaven will be like?  And what Jesus really looks like?  And who will be waiting for me when I get there? 

There are so many questions and not so many answers, that’s faith isn’t it.  But for some reason, as an adult, I need solid, believable answers.  Why?  The way Colton talks about heaven and Jesus is so matter-of-fact, he doesn’t question any of it, it just is.  He got to sit on Jesus’ lap, see the Throne of God and family he had never met here on earth. 

There’s a part in the book where Colton is in surgery and his pastor dad, Todd, is in a room yelling, crying and questioning God for doing this to his son and Colton told him that Jesus said he was answering his dad’s prayer.  Jesus was holding and loving his son the whole time Todd was questioning Him.  I cried.  There are many times I talk to God like that, not thinking He cares or is even listening, but I know He’s always there, even when I’m not being Christlike.  This book made me so aware of the reality of heaven and having childlike faith.  I can’t wait to go there and meet Jesus myself and live each day with renewed faith.

In the Bible it says in Mark 10:13-16, “People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

This is such a great book, I highly recommend reading it.  It was a very easy, short read.  Enjoy!


* BookSneeze® has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

No comments: